Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

How Do Daddies Make Babies?

I was tucking you in last night when out of the blue you asked "Mommy, how do daddies make babies?" Now I have always been told to answer a child's question simply and exactly - don't elaborate, and tell the truth. So I did. I responded, "Daddies don't make babies - mommies do. Mommies have eggs in their bellies that turn into babies."

You got real quiet, and then in a very sad, sad voice said, "But mommy, I really thought daddies made babies!"

So clearly we were going to have this conversation. I responded, "You're right - daddies have to be a part of the process to make babies. They have something special inside them that works with the egg to make the baby." Clearly at this point I was hoping I wouldn't have to take this any further, and for the night anyway we could just move on.

But then you started crying. And I thought FOR SURE I had totally freaked you out, and I was going to have to keep explaining this process to you. But then - in a choking sob - you said, "I just want to move to Florida!"

What?

I asked you to explain. You went on to say, "I just want to live where there are princesses ALL the time!"

Clearly I didn't scar you with my first attempt at The Birds and The Bees.

No comments: